Troop 166 & Troop 066
Welcome To Our Troop!
What You Might Not Get Elsewhere:
At first it feels like there is a lot to know, but it ends up being pretty simple - if you follow a few basic rules.
Never be afraid to ask if you don't know something.
We have all been there, so you are not alone, and most likely the worse thing that happens is you get too much information.
You can find out more about Ranks, and Outings and the Uniform by looking things up, but if you don't know to ask there are
A few things that you will wish someone had told you:
- The Scout Book - WILL GET LOST - bet on it. So... Take pictures of the signatures and the logs periodically.
Keep them safe somewhere you can find them - Maybe a folder just for Scout information.
- As a rule, do this before every Court of Honor.
- DIY Binder - Other than the Scout Book there is not a formal log. Many of us keep a three-ring binder with plastic inserts for collecting sports-cards. these really help to keep track of Merit Badge Blue-cards and patches, as well as Rank Badges and Cards as they are earned.
The Binder is a great place to keep all your scouting paperwork.
- Court of Honor - This is where the Ranks, Badges and other achievements are presented.
As a good rule, put cards, segments and patches in the right shirt pocket.
If they go in the pants you will never see them again.
Try to remember to get them from the pocket and put them in the Binder until you can sew them on...
WHAT YOU NEED TO TRACK
- Don't count on anyone else doing it!:
Again: Update these logs at least before every Court of Honor
- Hiking Log - Every Hike, including ones that are part of an outing.
- Camping Log - Overnight outings, where, when and how many nights - important for advancements!
- Include day outings as well!
- Service Hours - There is a place in the Scout Book for this. Most Scouts have trouble remembering to fill this out...
- RANKS and TRAINING - You won't need this until you are filling our your Eagle Scout Application, and by then it is very hard to go back and remember!